Senior Manager, Purchasing
(must have experience with electric vehicles, EV's, tier 1 suppliers, lithium-ion batteries and materials)
Provides leadership, management and coordination of Purchasing Department and Supply Chain Management personnel. Coordinates with appropriate internal and external parties on all executive levels to facilitate the proper strategy for the purchase of material, equipment, and professional services. Provides project management guidance for multi-disciplined assignments to obtain outside professional services and support matching inside resources. Contributes to building brand value and achieving enduring profitable growth.
The following job function statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. The job function statements reflect expectations of the fully trained, proficient incumbent who meets all performance criteria.
• Manages departmental budgeting, planning and approval processes.
• Achieves and ensures departmental objectives consistent with corporate and global strategies.
• Prescribes policy compliance and enforcement.
• Acts as a liaison with executive management, both within the procurement function and interdepartmentally.
• Develops long range general purchasing strategies and plans. Translates purchasing strategies into appropriate vendor relationships and contracts.
• Performs special projects requiring a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Coordinates commodities and research studies, as well as developing long range commodity plans and strategies both globally and regionally.
• Negotiates complex contracts for commodities, services, intellectual property, trademarking and other intangibles for compliance with commercial terms agreement.
• Supports negotiation and resolution of vendor disputes with all appropriate parties.
• Has subordinate managers and/or senior level individual contributors or contractors. Manages employees by establishing annual performance goals, allocating resources, assessing annual performance, and determining individual merit, incentive and/or promotional increases. Supervises and provides leadership, coaching, guidance, training, career counseling and staff development, interviews and selects employees; recommends merit increases, transfers and promotions; counsels and disciplines employees as necessary; recommends termination when appropriate; and monitors attendance of subordinates.
• Predictable and consistent attendance.
• As necessary, performs other related duties of which the above are representative.
Job Knowledge and Skill:
• Comprehensive knowledge of purchasing functions including articles of commerce. Superior communication, presentation, negotiation and personnel management skills. Able to demonstrate professional integrity and diplomacy.
• Comprehensive knowledge of supply chain functions and planning necessary to ensure the manufacturing plant is continuously supplied with materials necessary to operate on schedule.
• Ten or more years of comprehensive professional experience in a purchasing function.
• Five or more years of professional experience in Supply Chain Management or Operations is preferred. If experience is less, some consideration for on the job development is considered for a strong candidate.
• Two or more years as a Senior Manager, providing leadership, coaching, guidance, and training and contributing to staff development. Supervised subordinates or contractors with somewhat differentiated roles and several different titles.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline. Advanced degree preferred. Consider equivalent related college or technical courses, seminars and in-house classroom training.
Computer Skills and Required Software Experience:
• Working knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet, other PC applications, or mainframe applications to produce non-standard, creative products. Proficiency with SAP is also strongly desired.
The physical requirements described below are representative of those an employee must normally meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
• Ability to remain in stationary position 75% of the time.
• Ability to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
• Ability to constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
• Ability to lift, push and/or pull up to 35 pounds.
• Ability to bend, lift and/ or twist.
• Occasional day or overnight travel (or use: domestic and international travel).