The Senior Systems Engineer will collaborate with the team in Europe and the United States to develop a Hybrid Energy System. This senior engineer will be responsible for the systems engineering aspects of the develop including requirement development and management, system architecture, system sizing, and modularity including scaling exercises along with the other relevant systems engineering activities such as DFMEA and Validation support. This role is engaged from the prototype stage through launch and becomes the expert in understanding the interfaces between the host application and Hybrid Energy System including high-voltage wiring, contactor and relay behavior, low voltage control wiring, application-specific protocols, message sets and diagnostics, and electromagnetic compatibility and grounding. This is a senior role where leadership and mentoring skills are important.
• Collaborate with Fuel Cell and Battery teams. International travel is required.
o Teams would include: Software, Hardware, Fuel Cell experts, Battery experts, Validation, Production
• Requirements Development and Management o Collect customer, regulatory and legal requirements o Disseminate the requirements appropriately to the subsystems
o Special attention and management for Functional Safety (ISO 26262) related functions must be understood.
o Energy Management System
o System Sizing
o System and subsystem modularity
o System and subsystem scaling
• Developing documentation
o Architecture diagrams o Integration diagrams
o Integration procedures
o CAN communication descriptions o Diagnostics
• Compliance management o Understand relevant standards
o Support development of validation plan
o Boundary Diagrams Effective Date: GL-FO-HR-0-0007
o Develop system level DFMEA
o Incorporate subsystem DFMEA up to the system level
o APiS IQ-RM
• M.S. in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent (BS acceptable with sufficient experience)
• Minimum 5 years of experience in electric vehicle programs, with battery and/or Fuel Cell integration a plus
• Understanding of electrical/electronic control systems with CAN communication
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills – position requires strong interaction in multifunctional team environment particularly in high-pressure situations (e.g., launch)
• Strong English skills, both spoken and written
• Must be a self-starter who takes the initiative to find solutions to technical challenges
• Must demonstrate knowledge of and proficiency with creative problem solving methods.
• Travel 10–20% of time Key Competencies:
• Takes actions and displays behaviors that demonstrate ownership in the success of the company.
• Demonstrates primary focus on meeting both internal and external customer needs when identifying, prioritizing and accomplishing tasks.
• Works independently and overcomes obstacles to achieve results
• Willingness to participate in teams to reach desired outcomes either as a team leader or team member.
• Evaluates existing work processes and initiate practices to promote continuous improvement.
• Builds safety, quality and compliance into all actions.
• Committed to continuous learning and self-improvement