We are experienced battery systems experts with decades of experience in designing, developing and manufacturing advanced battery systems for the transportation industry. As Pioneers of the advanced automotive battery industry, we are leveraging the power of experience & knowledge to bring electrified mobility battery solutions to emerging transportation, industrial and commercial markets.
The Materials Engineer is responsible for selection, development and validation of core materials, properties, and designs, as well as the processes that are necessary to apply them. This individual is expected to work closely with Prototype & Production Manufacturing teams to troubleshoot issues, provide Engineering support & design in the development of new processes, products, and features.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for owning the selection and development of new materials and the initial development of processes for those materials.
- Maintains high level of expertise in polymer materials including adhesives, plastics, thermal interface materials, thermal barriers, molding processes, dispense processes, analytical and measurement techniques.
- Also maintains high level of familiarity with various joining techniques including welding, plastics joining, etc.
- Develop technical requirements to meet sub-system, performance, and processing targets.
- Work closely with the material suppliers to qualify candidate materials to meet sub-system, performance, and processing targets.
- Evaluates supplier information, specifications, and validation data to ensure selection of the best suppliers.
- Design, set-up and conduct internal tests to confirm specifications, and resolve issues.
- Work closely with suppliers and equipment vendors to support determination of process specifications.
- Work closely with the production manufacturing teams to troubleshoot any issues that arise with product components and assemblies.
- Determine and specify compatibility of mating (e.g. adhesives) materials including limits and conditions
- Specify required analytical and test equipment.
- Key contributor to DFMEAs/PFMEAs.
- Key contributor in evaluation of prospective suppliers.
- Key contributor to mechanical system DVP&Rs for integration into or support of overall ABS system DVP&Rs.
- Supports all prototype system builds ensuring materials are on time, and issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Expands professional and technical knowledge by attending educational seminars and conferences, reviewing professional publications, and establishing personal networks.
- Contributes to team growth by completing projects in a timely manner.
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering / Materials Science or equivalent degree.
- ≥5 years of experience in automotive or similar product design and development.
- Adept in various troubleshooting methods
- Adept in data processing and statistical analysis.
- Effective communicator, capable of concisely presenting highly technical test data to internal and external customers, as well as effectively communicating with suppliers.
- Familiar with lab procedures and safety protocols
- Experienced with the handling of high voltage lithium-ion battery systems.
- Educated on common automotive & industry standards.
- Familiar with the product design process.
- Self-motivated problem solver; pays attention to the details.
- Challenges the status quo and strives for continuous improvement.
- Abides by safety standards and protocols.