The Senior Manufacturing Engineer is responsible and accountable for technology & assets, as well as the achievement of the plant related business goals for his/her area of assigned responsibility. Under the guidance of the Director of Cell and Manufacturing Engineering, the role delivers hands on Engineering, Environmental, Health, and Safety (EH&S), Quality, and Operations support to an empowered, work process driven, manufacturing organization. Responsibilities include problem solving, process improvement, capital project implementation, implementation of new technologies and acting as an R&D interface for the manufacturing processes.
- Provide subject matter expertise for electrochemical cell fabrication equipment and processes. Share expertise across multiple functions and teams to leverage current knowledge into future product and process development.
- Lead plant troubleshooting efforts and coordinate improvement projects with the Operations teams to reduce scrap and lower manufacturing costs.
- Review and approve job procedures and operating discipline. Participate in training operating personnel as needed. Conduct pre-startup reviews and complete pre-startup activities.
- Ensures the linkages between plant operations and R&D are effective. Participate in technology improvements and represent the plant’s interests in process design and equipment design & function.
- Review proposed technology improvements to ensure safety, quality, and overall manufacturing effectiveness.
- Works with the Direcotor of Cell and Manufacturing Engineering to implement the business strategy and achieve plant goals. (i.e. quality, EH&S, operational costs, capacity/asset utilization, operational reliability, etc.).
- Ensures implementation and ongoing effectiveness of operating discipline, enabling technologies and roles. Manages and implements systems to reduce variation, produce quality products, reduce inventory, reduce costs of operations, and meet customer needs. Interfaces with customers as required.
- Review and approve plant engineering and equipment specifications, process and instrument diagrams, process flow diagrams, material balances, and other key documented process knowledge.
- Manages capital projects up to $1M
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering preferred but other engineering disciplines would be considered.
- 5 years minimum manufacturing/process engineering experience, preferably in lithium battery-related technologies.
- Experience with project management and technology improvement processes PMP certification a plus.
- Solid understanding of statistical process control and process improvement methodologies. Black Belt/Green Belt certifcaiton a plus.
- Familiarity with root cause trouble shooting activities
- Good understanding of manufacturing plant control systems and process automation (PLC).
- Software skills including MS Office professional package and Minitab. Ability to use SolidWorks a plus.
- Strong data gathering and analysis skills
- Excellent people skills and demonstrated ability to work on teams.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Flexible, with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to contribute in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Takes actions and displays behaviors that demonstrate ownership in the success of the company.
- Demonstrates primary focus on meeting both internal and external customer needs when identifying, prioritizing and accomplishing tasks.
- Works independently and overcomes obstacles to achieve results
- Willingness to participate in teams to reach desired outcomes either as a team leader or team member.
- Builds safety, quality and compliance into all actions.
- Committed to continuous learning and self-improvement.